Spicy Tomato and Lentil Soup
15 serves of veg
- 1 large brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 large carrot, chopped into 2cm sized pieces
- 1 stick celery, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mild curry paste
- 2 cups (or 1 x 500ml tetra pack) of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 100g red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 800g can of tomatoes, diced or chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (parsley, basil or mixed herbs)
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yoghurt
- Heat oil in saucepan. Stir in curry paste.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat until vegetables soften.
- Add stock, water, lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs and bring to boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with black pepper. Serve with yoghurt.
Refrigerate for up to 7 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Large saucepan
- Chopping board
- Large knife