Steak sandwich with caramelised onions
14 serves of veg
- 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- olive or canola oil spray
- 2 large red onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 large thin field mushrooms, stalk removed (optional)
- 4 beef rump sandwich or minute steaks, trimmed of fat (100g each)
- ¾ Turkish bread loaf or pide (300g)
- 6 pickled cucumbers or gherkins, sliced thinly lengthways
- 425g can sliced beetroot, drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (80g) firmly packed rocket or baby spinach leaves
- Mix mayonnaise and garlic together in a cup and set aside.
- Spray a small non-stick frypan with oil and place over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until golden.
- Add the sugar and vinegar and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until onion caramelises. Season with pepper and set aside.
- Preheat a barbecue grill or griddle pan on high heat. Spray both sides of mushrooms and steaks with oil and season with pepper. Place mushrooms on grill and cook for 3 minutes each side until cooked through; set aside.
- Reheat grill, add steak and cook for ½ to 1 minute each side, depending on thickness and until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate, cover to keep warm.
- Cut bread crossways into 4 pieces then cut each in half lengthways. Toast or grill both sides of bread then spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice.
- Place bread open-faced in the centre of a serving plate. Top the base with steak, mushroom, gherkin and onion. To the bread top, add beetroot, tomato and rocket or spinach leaves.
- Carefully sandwich both bread halves together and serve.
- Add a slice of fresh pineapple, barbequed for 1 to 2 minutes each side until golden.
- Replace beef with halved skinless chicken breast, 100g thin trimmed kangaroo steaks or remove meat altogether for a vegetarian option.
- Serve immediately.
- small non-stick fry pan
- stirring spoon
- barbeque grill or griddle pan
- cutting board
- butter knife
- serving plate
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2012 reproduced with permission.