Summer breakfast hash
18 serves of veg
- 2 medium potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained
- 420g can reduced-salt corn kernels, drained
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, stalks removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 4 poached or boiled eggs, to serve
- Place the potato and sweet potato into a saucepan. Cover with water and boil for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Add oil to a large non-stick pan and heat on high. Add onion and garlic. Cook onion about 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add zucchini, capsicum, chickpeas and corn. Season with ground pepper. Cook for 8 minutes until starting to brown, stirring often. Remove vegetable mix from pan and wipe out the pan.
- Lightly add oil to pan. Add potato and sweet potato to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat without stirring. Flip and cook on the other slide for a further 5 minutes, till browned.
- Add vegetable mix to the pan. Add smoked paprika and mix well, cooking for 2 minutes. Season with ground pepper and parsley and toss well.
- Remove and serve immediately topped with an egg.
- Replace sweet potato with carrot.
- Frozen carrot and corn can be used instead of fresh.
- Serve immediately.
- large non-stick pan
- stirring spoon
- egg lifter
- serving plate
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2013 reproduced with permission.