Sweet and Sour Pork
8 serves of veg
2 serves of fruit
- 500g lean boneless pork, chopped into 2cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 medium peeled carrots, diced
- 1 celery stick, sliced diagonally
- 1/2 medium red capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 medium green capsicum, chopped
- 250g broccoli, broken into florets (bite sized pieces)
- 1x 375g can pineapple pieces in natural juice, drained – keep the liquid
- 2 teaspoons cornflour*
- 1 tablespoon reduce salt soy sauce*
- 125ml vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 125ml chicken stock (1/2 teaspoon chicken stock powder and 125ml hot water)
- Mix cornflour, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and pineapple juice in small bowl, set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to medium sized fry pan and cook pork pieces on a medium-high heat.
- Remove pork to large bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to fry pan on medium heat and add vegetables in following order, onion, carrot, celery and cook for 3 minutes, then add capsicum and broccoli and chicken stock cook a further 3 minutes until fluid is reduced.
- Add the pineapple and the sauce made in step 1. and mix through the vegetables.
- Return the cooked pork to the pan and heat through for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with a side of rice.
- Chicken or fish may be substituted for the pork.
- Use left-over roast pork or chicken cut into 2cm pieces and omit step 2.
- Use commercial sweet and sour sauce and omit step 1.
- Use 500g mixed frozen vegetables.
- Can be gluten free with simple swaps such gluten free cornflour and soy sauce.
Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Medium-sized deep fry pan or saucepan
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Small bowl
- Large bowl