Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers
5 serves of veg
- 1 can (440g) chickpeas,rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, defrosted
- 1/2 cup sweet potato, grated
- 1/2 medium red onion,finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Mash the chickpeas and peas together in a large bowl with a fork.
- With your hands, squeeze as much moister from the grated vegetables before adding to the bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients (except the oil) and mix well.
- Take a big spoonful of the mixture and roll into a ball with your hands. Flatten the ball and place on a plate. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick fry pan. Add enough patties being careful not to overcrowd and allow room to turn each pattie.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown, then flip over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Place on paper towel while you cook the rest of the patties.
- If you have a food processor add all the ingredients and blitz until you get a chunky but sticky texture. Then continue from step 4.
- Substitute grated carrot or pumpkin for sweet potato
- Recipe will make 6 small patties or 3 large burgers. Serve with side salad and bread roll and tzatziki dip.
Store cooked patties in refrigerator for up to 7 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
Place in lunchbox still frozen, they will be defrosted by lunchtime.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Large bowl
- Fork or potato masher
- Large non-stick frying pan
- Paper towel