Sweet and sour pork kebabs
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1½ teaspoons white vinegar
- 400g pork fillet, trimmed of fat, cut into 2cm cubes
- ¼ fresh pineapple, peeled and cored, cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 1 medium red capsicum, seeded, cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 1 medium yellow capsicum, seeded, cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 1 red onion, peeled, cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 8 small button mushrooms
- 8 thick bamboo sticks
- olive or canola oil spray
- 4 cups steamed rice (from 2 cups uncooked rice), to serve
- Mix sauces and vinegar in a small bowl. Add pork, stir to coat, cover and refrigerate marinated pork for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
- To prevent burning, cover skewers in a shallow bowl with water.
- Preheat barbecue grill on high heat.
- Thread pork and vegetables alternately onto skewers, ending with mushrooms.
- Spray skewers with oil and barbecue each side for 2 minutes until pork is cooked through, basting kebabs with remaining marinade occasionally.
- Transfer to plates and serve with rice.
Skewered kebabs can be prepared in advance and refrigerated until ready to barbeque.
- Replace fresh pineapple with pineapple chunks canned in natural juice.
- Replace red capsicum with green capsicum.
- Serve immediately.
- Small bowl
- shallow bowl
- barbeque grill
- serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2012 reproduced with permission.