- 1 cup cracked wheat (burghul)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber, diced
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup mint, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cover the cracked wheat with cold water and soak for 15 minutes.
- Strain through a sieve and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Mix with remaining ingredients and serve chilled.
- For best results use flat leaf parsley when available.
- For a more substantial meal, add 425g can drained chickpeas.
- Tip: The salad can be made a day ahead.
Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Medium bowl
- Fine mesh Sieve
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.