Tasty tuna sandwich + snacks
These lunchboxes are made for primary-aged children. For other ages and appetites simply increase or decrease servings of the main lunchbox item and add in a few more snacks to help silence rumbly tummies!
Please note: Prep time includes making of sandwich and packing of lunchbox with prep-prepared muffin, cut fruit and corn.
- 1 crunchy tuna sandwich *
- 1 cup (155g) watermelon, diced into 2cm pieces
- ¼ corn on the cob (frozen, boiled, no added salt or fat)
- 1 sweet potato and cheese muffin * (pre-prepared)
* See recipe for full list of ingredients and preparation.
- Prepare crunchy tuna sandwich and place in sandwich container or baking paper.
- Cut watermelon and place into container.
- Pack lunchbox with sandwich, corn, and muffin.
Team lunches with a drink that can easily freeze or keep cold. Some ideas include:
- A bottle of water.
- A bottle of water with ice cubes or frozen fruit ice cubes for flavour.
- Occasionally, add a small flavoured milk or 100% fruit juice.
Some fruit and vegetables are not available all year – check out the seasonal calendar to see what fruit is in season right now and substitute as needed!
Food Safety Australia New Zealand considers that high risk foods include ready-to-eat, minimally-processed fruits and vegetables; fresh leafy green vegetables; melons; berries; and sprouts.
Please refer to food safety information to be aware of when handling and storing melon and the other high risk foods.