Thai beef larb – rice noodles
10 serves of veg
- Olive or canola oil spray
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, thinly sliced (optional)
- 150g green beans, trimmed, sliced into 1cm pieces
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage or wombok
- finely grated rind of 1 lime and 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 4 spring onions, ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally (include green tops)
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- ½ cup mint leaves, roughly torn
- whole iceberg lettuce, separated into leaves
- 250g cooked rice noodles, to serve
- lime cheeks, optional
- Spray a large non-stick wok or frypan with oil and place on medium to high heat.
- Add mince and brown for 5 minutes, stirring to break up lumps.
- Add garlic, chilli and beans; stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage, lime rind and juice, and sauces; mix through and cook for 2 minutes until cabbage softens.
- Remove wok from heat, add spring onions, coriander and mint and toss to combine.
- To serve, place lettuce leaves, mince mixture, cooked noodles and lime cheeks onto separate serving plates. Pile cooked mince and noodles into a lettuce leaf and coat with a squeeze of lime juice. Roll up into a parcel to eat.
- Replace cabbage with bean shoots.
- Replace beef with lean chicken, turkey or pork mince.
- Use larb mixture (without noodles and lettuce) as a filling for rice paper rolls and serve with sweet chilli sauce.
- Replace fresh beans with frozen ones.
- Serve immediately.
- Large non-stick wok or frypan
- stirring spoon
- serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2013 reproduced with permission.