Thai fish cakes with crunchy salad
- 400g firm boneless white fish fillets, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and quartered
- 4 stems coriander, roots removed (50g stems and leaves)
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 egg
- 150g green beans, trimmed, cut into 1cm rounds
- ½ small red capsicum, seeded and diced
- olive or canola oil spray
- lemon or lime wedges, to serve
- 1 continental or 2 large Lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup roughly chopped coriander, extra
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice, extra
- 1 ½ tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- Place fish, garlic, coriander, curry paste, juice and egg into a blender or food processor. Process until the mixture is well combined and is a smooth paste consistency.
- Transfer to a large bowl with diced red capsicum and the green beans. Mix until well combined.
- With damp hands, using 2 tablespoons of mixture at a time, shape mixture into 12 balls. Flatten into 1cm thick patties.
- Spray a large non-stick frypan with oil and place over medium heat. Place 6 fish cakes evenly around the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes then flip and brown on reverse side for a further 2-3 minutes until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining mixture.
- Begin to prepare salad by adding remaining ½ red capsicum, thinly sliced, to a large bowl. Using a teaspoon, discard seeds from cucumber. Slice thinly on the diagonal and add to capsicum along with bean sprouts, extra coriander, mint and chilli.
- Make the dressing by combining extra juice, sweet chilli and fish sauce in a cup and pour over salad just before serving.
- Divide fish cakes and salad among serving plates.
- Serve with lemon or lime wedges, if desired.
Fish cakes can be steamed in the microwave rather than browned in a pan. Place fish cakes around the outer edge of a large microwave-safe plate lined with non-stick baking paper. Cook, uncovered, on medium (50%) for 12-15 minutes or until firm and cooked through.
- Reduce red curry paste to ½ tablespoon for a less spicy, child-friendly version.
- Include other salad ingredients such as sliced red or spring onion, snow pea sprouts, halved cherry tomatoes, baby spinach leaves or mixed salad greens
- Serve immediately.
- Blender or food processor
- large bowl
- large non-stick frypan
- egg lifter
- large bowl
- sharp knife
- chopping board
- serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2012 reproduced with permission.