Tropical Fruit Trifle
8 serves of fruit
- 1 small packet sponge fingers
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 packet lemon jelly (to make 500mL)
- 250g reduced-fat ricotta cheese, smooth
- 250g reduced-fat creamy cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 170g can low-fat evaporated milk, chilled
Tropical fruit salad
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh or canned pineapple, chopped
- 1 cup kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups fresh or canned mango, chopped
- Pulp of 2 passionfruit
- Arrange sponge fingers in a 5–6 cup oblong dish. Pour over orange juice.
- Make jelly following packet directions and allow to cool.
- Beat ricotta, cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Add lemon zest.
- Chop set jelly into small cubes.
- In a separate bowl beat evaporated milk until thick.
- Fold into ricotta mix. Pour over the sponge fingers, top with cut jelly and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut into 8 portions.
- Combine all the fruits to make a fresh tropical fruit salad then spoon on top.
- Make individual serves in a glass to show the layering.
- Use any kind of fresh seasonal fruit or canned fruit (drained of natural juice) including peaches, plums, pawpaw, pitted cherries or frozen berries.
Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Small bowl
- Oblong dish
- Grater or Zester
- Medium-sized bowl
- Chopping board
- Large knife