23 serves of veg
- 2 uncooked cups brown rice
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small piece ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red or green curry paste (according to taste)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cubed
- ½ butternut pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium red or green capsicum, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower, or broccoli florets or green beans
- 425g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped herbs (e.g. basil or oregano)
- Cook rice following packet directions.
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt and leave for 30 minutes.
- Rinse, pat and dry well on paper towels and cut into cubes.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add garlic, ginger and onion cooking gently to soften.
- Stir in curry paste over low heat. Add vegetables and canned tomatoes and stir well.
- Cover tightly and bring to the boil, then simmer until vegetables are tender, 20–40 minutes depending on size.
- Add coconut milk and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Add herbs and stir well.
Tips: De-gorging cut eggplant by sprinkling with salt draws out the seeds’ bitter juices. It is important to rinse in water so the dish is not too salty.
- For a lower fat curry replace coconut milk with 1 cup low-fat evaporated milk and 1 teaspoon coconut essence.
Curry can be kept in refrigerator for up to 7 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Paper towel
- Large saucepan with lid
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia.www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.