12 serves of veg
- 1 small brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 medium red capsicum, chopped finely
- 1 medium yellow capsicum, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 200g button mushrooms, halved
- 1 2/3 cups brown short-grain rice
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- 2 cups (500mL) salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 2 cups (500mL) water
- 200g green beans, trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat a large deep non-stick frying pan, brushed with olive oil over high heat; cook onion and capsicum, stirring, until onion softens.
- Add paprika, turmeric and mushrooms; cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender. Add rice; stir to coat rice in vegetable mixture.
- Add tomatoes, 1/2 cup of stock and 1/2 cup of water; cook, stirring, until liquid is absorbed. Add remaining stock and water; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Sprinkle beans and peas over rice. Cook, covered, for about 10 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Cover paella and stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle paella with parsley; serve with lemon wedges.
- Choose barley (1 2/3 cup) as an alternative grain to rice, at step 3 combine tomato, stock and place in baking dish in 180ºC oven for 45-60 minutes until liquid absorbed. Step 4. In the last 5 minutes top beans and peas over barley and return to oven. Continue to Step 5.
Can be kept in refrigerator for up to 7 days. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Chopping board
- Large knife
- Large deep non-stick frying pan with lid
- Pastry brush