- 2 leeks, sliced
- 125g mushrooms or mushroom trimmings
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 2 small carrots, sliced
- 2 small sticks celery, sliced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 6 black peppercorns
Note: Serving quantity of fruit and veg will be zero. There will be some nutrients in the liquid but it’s hard to quantify once solid vegetables are drained
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan and add water to cover.
- Bring to the boil and simmer over gentle heat for 2 hours.
- Remove from heat and strain into a clean bowl, pressing the vegetables to extract the flavour.
- Refrigerate and use as required.
- Makes 5 cups or 1.25L.
Tip: Stock will keep in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Freeze in portion sizes ready to use in recipes, eg: ½ cup, 1 cup, 2 cups.
- Chopping board
- large knife
- Large pot
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.