Warm pumpkin, beef and spinach salad
19 serves of veg
- 1kg jap, kent or butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1½ cm dice
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 200g baby spinach or mixed leaves
- 420g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained
- ½ bunch coriander, chopped
- 500g lean beef steak, fat trimmed
- 200g natural yoghurt or low-fat Greek yoghurt
- juice of ¼ lemon
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin, extra
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- Place pumpkin cubes in a single layer on a oven tray lined with baking paper. Add garlic. Lightly spray with oil, sprinkle with ½ tablespoon cumin and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until tender, turning halfway through cooking.
- In a large bowl combine spinach, chickpeas and coriander.
- Lightly spray a large non-stick frypan with oil and place on medium to high heat. Sprinkle remaining cumin onto both sides of steak. Grill for 3 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Remove from heat, cover and set aside to rest for 3 minutes before slicing thinly.
- To make dressing, squeeze cooked garlic out of its skin and mash in a small bowl. Add in yoghurt, lemon juice, extra cumin and honey; mix to combine.
- Divide salad ingredients among serving plates then top with pumpkin and beef. Pour dressing over salad just before serving or serve in individual dishes on the side.
- Add 300g blanched green beans or asparagus.
- Include other salad ingredients such as cherry tomatoes or sliced cucumber, radish or red onion.
- Replace chickpeas with rinsed, drained no-added-salt cannellini beans, butter beans or four bean mix
- Serve immediately.
- Oven tray
- large bowl
- large non-stick frypan
- sharp knife
- small bowl
- serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2013 reproduced with permission.