Warm squid salad
- 1kg squid hoods, cleaned and gutted
- Olive or canola oil spray
- 420g can cannellini or butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red chilli, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 iceberg lettuce, torn into pieces (or a mixture of salad greens)
- 250g (1 punnet) cherry tomatoes, halved (or 3 ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks)
- 4 radishes, washed and sliced
- Cut the squid hoods horizontally to make flat pieces and score with a sharp knife in criss-cross fashion.
- Heat a griddle plate, barbecue plate or frypan and spray lightly with oil.
- Cook squid until charred brown on both sides. Remove to a large bowl.
- Heat beans in a pot and add chilli, lemon juice, oil and pepper.
- Remove from heat and combine with the squid.
- Arrange salad ingredients on a serving dish and top with the squid and bean mixture.
- Serve immediately.
- Use 150g dried cannellini or butter beans and prepare according to packet directions.
Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Chopping boards
- Large knife
- Griddle plate or non-stick fry pan
- Large bowl
- Serving dish
- Medium saucepan
Queensland health acknowledges the development of the Healthy Food Fast cookbook by the Department of Health Western Australia. www.gofor2and5.com.au. Recipes from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia 2011, reproduced with permission.