Zucchini and corn fritters
10 serves of veg
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 small red capsicums, diced (put 1/3 aside for salsa)
- 400g can no-added-salt corn kernels, drained
- 2 spring onions, (including green tops),chopped
- ½ cup chopped basil
- 1 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese (80g)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup self-raising flour
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- olive or canola oil spray
- 2 avocadoes, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- Squeeze zucchini of excess liquid and place in a large bowl with 2/3 of the capsicum and the corn, spring onions, basil and cheese. Season with pepper.
- Sift flour over vegetables then mix to combine.
- Pour milk into a jug, add eggs and whisk together with a fork. Add to vegetables and stir well.
- Heat a large non-stick frypan over medium heat and spray liberally with oil. Drop heaped tablespoons of mixture evenly spread around the pan and spread using the back of a spoon to 8cm diameter. Cook for 2 minutes or until firm and golden. Flip and brown on reverse side for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate, keep warm and repeat cooking process with remaining mixture.
- To make salsa, combine remaining capsicum with avocado, tomato, basil and lime in a medium-sized bowl.
- Divide salsa between plates and serve with a stack of 3 fritters each.
Salsa can be made in advance, although avocado is best added just before serving.
- Use 4 cups (600g) of any combination of grated or diced vegetables including sweet potato, carrot, pumpkin, potato, peas, leek, English spinach, drained semi-sundried tomatoes or frozen diced vegetables.
- Replace basil with herbs of your choice such as coriander, chives, parsley or thyme.
- Serve fritters with tomato salsa, relish, tzatziki or yoghurt dressing.
- Fritters can be served cold.
- Fritters can be frozen if sealed individually in plastic wrap and then wrapped in foil.
- large bowl
- large non-stick frypan
- egg lifter
- medium sized bowl
- serving plates
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia  reproduced with permission.