Zucchini quiche with rice crust
3.5 serves of veg
- Olive or canola oil spray
- 3 cups cooked rice (from 1 cup uncooked rice)
- 5 eggs
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into 0.5 cm rounds
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- freshly ground or cracked black pepper
- ½ cup low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- garden salad, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Lightly spray a 22cm oven dish with oil spray.
- Mix rice with one egg and press firmly into the base and sides of the dish. Bake for 10-15 min until base is crusty and has started to go golden.
- Place zucchini in a microwave proof dish and cover with cling wrap or a lid. Microwave for 5 minutes on high or until zucchini has softened and released some of its liquid. Drain and dab away any excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Spread mustard over the rice base. Lay out the zucchini slices on the rice base and sprinkle with the tomato, onion and mint.
- Whisk the remaining 4 eggs with the milk and pepper and pour over the base. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the quiche is firm and the cheese is golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold with a garden salad.
- Substitute frozen vegetables for zucchini.
- Quiche can be eaten warm or cold. Store in fridge to keep cool.
- 22 cm oven dish
- microwave proof lidded dish
- spoon. whisk
Recipe from LiveLighter® campaign © State of Western Australia 2013 reproduced with permission.